Thursday, January 3, 2013

Hillsdale Community Garden!

As the first official Garden post I want to Thank Everyone for signing the petition and wanting a Community Garden in our area. Today I received a phone call from Julie Peck-Dabling from Salt lake County's Urban Farming initiative. You can read more about them by following this link.  She told me right off the bat and that's what I'll do for you. The Hillsdale Park Garden was the Community Garden chosen to be developed in 2013!

It's been over a month since we submitted our application and my hopes had dwindled as to whether it as going to happen at Hillsdale or not. But I was pleasantly surprised. For me it means, among other things, that a lot of hard work paid off. For you, who I may not have even spoken with, it might mean that you can have a garden this year, that you have something to do at the park when you take your kids to play, or that you just have a perfect way to go out and meet other awesome people who actually live in your neighborhood. Whatever your reasons are, this is so exciting!

 I know that ours was not the only application so it is quite an honor that our project was chosen. The process was smooth and simple to go through, especially with the help of Wasatch Community Gardens staff Giles Larsen and Susan Finlayson. Believe it or not, it usually takes a lot more work to get so many people rallied around a cause. But you have all made it very simple and I Thank You for it. I wasn't able to talk to all of you personally, so there are probably still a few of you don't know what is going on. This blog will be an attempt to bring together all of the information regarding the garden so that everyone has the same understanding of what is happening, needs to happen or will happen. This blog, as with the garden itself, will be open for anyone to contribute. Here I'll let you know when meetings are taking place and we can simply share the fun things we're growing! But for now, I am just so glad that we'll be doing this and hope you are excited too for this new gardening journey!

Also, if you're on Facebook, join our Hillsdale Community Garden Facebook Group!

Lastly, Thank You to Julie Peck-Dabling, Giles Larsen, Susan Finlayson and Wasatch Community Gardens for their support in this project that will surely amount to a lot of progress in our neighborhood and our lives! 

Thank You!

Andrea Aguin

No comments:

Post a Comment